Become an Apprentice
The EarthDance Organic Farming Apprenticeship Program
Apprentices, or “Freshman Farmies,” commit a minimum of 9.5 hours per week to the program – which includes field walks, farm time and market labor. Weekly enrichment sessions provide additional education on topics like crop planning, pest and disease prevention, and preserving the harvest. Field trips to local farms complete the apprenticeship.
This program was developed because the need for small-scale organic growers, especially in the St. Louis region, is increasing every day. All people who wish to engage in growing food in a cooperative working and learning environment are great candidates for this program, and more specifically:
- Recent Graduates: Recent graduates of area colleges and universities interested in organic farming, sustainability, environmental science, environmental / experiential education, agroecology, and other related careers
- Career Changers: Individuals interested in pursuing a different career path, and considering starting their own farm enterprise
- Ferguson Residents: Local community members interested in creating healthier lifestyles through increased activity and greater access to fresh food
- Educators: Educators wanting to incorporate sustainable food production into their teaching, and perhaps interested in starting a school garden
The Four Foundational Components of the program:
- Farm Work
- Enrichment Sessions, including Field Trips to Local Farms
- Selling at Farmers Markets
Interested in Becoming an EarthDance Apprentice for the 2013 Season?
For more information for the 2013 season, click on the link below:
Or consult our page of Frequently Asked Questions
Questions about the program? Please send an email to email@example.com for more information.
To Apply to the EarthDance Organic Apprenticeship Program:
Want to join our 2013 Class of Freshman Farmies? Great! We are accepting applicants on a rolling basis. Please complete the application (parts I, II, and III). Once we receive your application, we will review it and contact you within three weeks to let you know if you have been accepted. Scholarships will not be awarded until mid-late December of 2012.
There are 3 parts:
Part I. Basic Information – Submit online
Part II. Online -
Part III. Mail in (Due
Dec. 12th—Jan 31st—Deadline Extended!) Please mail in the following:
- A photo of yourself
- Your resume or recent work experience
- A letter of recommendation (cannot be from a relative or significant other)
- $25 application fee (make check payable to EarthDance)
- Scholarship inquiry form, if applicable.
- A self-addressed, stamped envelope
Thanks to the generosity of our donors, EarthDance is pleased to offer several full and partial scholarships to the apprenticeship program. Thanks especially to Chipotle Mexican Grill for sponsoring two full-tuition scholarships in 2013!
To apply for a scholarship for the 2013 apprenticeship program, download the 2013 Scholarship Request Form. (*Please note, the deadline for scholarship applications has been extended to Dec. 12th, 2012*)
Mail the above items to:EarthDance 302 Thoroughman Ave Ferguson, MO 63135
Your application is not complete until we receive Parts I, II, and III in full. Thank you for your interest in the EarthDance Organic Farming Apprenticeship program!